Happy New Year mermaids! Let’s make some beautiful things happen this year. Starting with…pledging to ditch PLASTIC as much as possible!
Washed Ashore may be a jewelry brand, but we are so much more than that! Our designs are inspired by our deep love for the ocean and its mysteries. We grew up beachcombing, surfing, diving, roaming the beaches of our hometowns; and we are fierce believers in acting with environmental consciousness and sustainability in mind.
The sea is not only the lungs of our beautiful planet, it is a part of all of us and as Captain Paul Watson says: “If the oceans die, we die.”
Why ditch plastic? Here are a few facts:
- About 1 million plastic bottles are sold around the world every single minute
- In the US alone, 500 million plastic straws are used every day
- 73% of beach litter is plastic
- 79% of all plastic waste ends up in landfills or the environment
- It takes between 450 years and forever for plastic to degrade
- 40% of all plastic consumed is used only once and then thrown out
*Photo credit: National Geographic
So join us in taking the PLASTIC PLEDGE and together let’s make a change.
The goal is to make a conscious effort to phase out single use plastic products, such as cups, forks, bottles, straws, bags and such; to reduce the use of all plastic items (even if they are reusable); and pick more eco-friendly, recycled, recyclable and reusable options such as kraft, recycled paper, stainless steel, hemp or glass.
Here is an eco-conscious twist by National Geographic on the most popular New Year’s resolutions.
Take the plastic pledge here: National Geographic - Plastic Pledge